Late models slated to run in Jackson this weekend
JACKSON - For only the second time, the World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Model Series is scheduled to visit Jackson.
No spectators will be allowed at this weekend's event, called the Return to Racing, at Jackson Motorplex. The series has not held an event this year since March 7 at Maryville, Tenn.
The only other appearance for the series in Jackson was in its inaugural season, with Willy Kraft of Lakefield winning on June 18, 1988.
In the modern era (since 2004), the series has made 26 appearances in Minnesota. Of those, 17 were at Deer Creek Speedway in Spring Valley, four at Ogilvie Raceway, three at Hibbing Raceway, and two at North Central Speedway in Brainerd.
The purse for Saturday’s event is $20,000-to-win and $1,000-to-start.
Brandon Sheppard (New Berlin, Ill.) leads the series point standings with 1,292 points.
Ricky Weiss (Headingley, Manitoba, Canada) is second with 1,234; Darrell Lanigan (Union, Ky.) third with 1,180; Chris Madden (Gray Court, S.C.) fourth with 1,152 points and Dennis Erb Jr. (Carpentersville, Ill.) and Scott Bloomquist (Mooresburg, Tenn.) are tied for fifth place with 1,140 points.
Bloomquist won a 50-lap Lucas Oil Late Model A Main at Jackson Motorplex in 2018.
The current Top 10 in the World of Outlaws Morton Buildings Late Model Series point standings:
1. Brandon Sheppard, New Berlin, Ill., 1292
2. Ricky Weiss, Headingley, Manitoba, Canada, 1234
3. Darrell Lanigan, Union, Ky., 1180
4. Chris Madden, Gray Court, S.C., 1152
5. Dennis Erb Jr., Carpentersville, Ill., 1140
(tie) Scott Bloomquist, Mooresburg, Tenn., 1140
7. Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., 1138
8. Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., 1124
9. Ashton Winger, Hampton, Ga., 1058
10. Matt Cosner, Ridgeley, W.V., 1002