News

Jackson Council moves forward with Phase 1 of Memorial Park

Wed 8-8-2018

The Jackson City Council met in regular session last night in the council chambers at City Hall in Jackson.  The meeting was called to order at 6:30pm.  Councilman Matt Madden was the only member absent.

The Council voted to move forward with Phase One of the Memorial Park project.  Phase one includes preparing a topographic and boundary survey for the park, refining the design for the park to include the splash pad and veteran’s memorial, developing final plans and obtaining bids and construction of the first phase of the project.  The timeline is to have final bids received by the end of January 2019.

In other action, the council approved a request from the Jackson Fire Department to purchase a new hydraulic spreader for just under $9,000, which is currently in the budget, approved first reading of an ordinance adopting supplement to City Codes and approved accepting applications for the City’s Volunteer Recognition Program.  Nominations are due by Friday, October 5th.

In other items, the Council reviewed current concerns regarding the city dump site.  It is currently exceeding its boundaries and there is some illegal activity going on at the site, especially at night.  The Mayor formed a committee to review options.  City Administrator Matt Skaret advised the council that the City’s financial advisor, Shannon Sweeney, recommended moving forward with bonding for the Water Storage Tank Project.  There is a possibility to bond for other projects at the same time.  The council will target the first Thursday of each month for a work session, and the council heard a request from Kathleen Amick with United Community Action Partners for the City to budget $8,300 in the 2019 budget for a new transit bus.  There is a grant from the state for 80% of the cost, and the County and City usually split the remaining 20%.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:25pm.  The next meeting of the Jackson City Council is scheduled for Tuesday, August 21 at 6:30pm.